Sunday, February 4, 2007

Sister Stew


You can eat pineapple in February! After all, the groundhog told us that spring is almost here. Thus, in anticipation of brightly ripe summer fruits, I highly recommend the pineapple carmelized and with toasted coconut over vanilla ice cream. That was the dessert Teresa and I made on chilled February evening in Delaware. You can do other things with pineapple too, such as wear it as a fancy hat (example in picture).

Teresa and I had spent the entire day in our pajamas lounging and talking about everything before starting the pineapple project (Why should sisters ever have to live far apart?). And before our tropical dessert, we made a sisterly stew to buffer the coldy wind outside. After all, when you've been immobile for hours except for your storytelling, idea sharing, news updating mouth, your belly needs something warm inside. We opened a bottle of Pinot Noir from a vineyard in France that's been around since 1725. I know virtually nothing about wine, but figure a vineyard that established must produce something good. It was delightful to sip as I put together this very easy and completely vegan soup-stew [recipe adapted from vegweb.com]

Ingredients:
vegan sausage (e.g. the Gimme Lean brand)
garlic
some mushrooms, potatoes, carrots and onions
barley
vegetable broth or boullion cubes
herb seasoning of your choice (I used oregano, pepper and rosemary)

1) Boil potatoes, mushrooms, carrots and barley in broth until soft.
2) Saute and brown onions, garlic and vegan sausage. Add seasoing.
3) Add "meat" mixture to broth mixture.
4) Ladle in large bowls and breathe in wintery stew aroma.
5) Chow down

Oh, how I did not want to leave my sister for anything. But we shall eat together soon.

2 comments:

Justin said...

1. I think the pineapple hat picture should be the main pic on your friendster profile and you should start a food/fashion blog.

2. Do you only blog about successful food experiences? For instance, this weekend I tried to bake my own bread only to mess up two batches and feed the birds. Is this blogable?

christine p said...

Hmm. Food to fashion and back. I like it.

I haven't had anything unsuccessful to write about yet...except finding the little worms in the pancake mix tonight. That was not a success.