Friday, March 30, 2007

Thursday is the new Friday

Thursday was one of those great nights of food, drink and perfect company. And I had all my fun within a 5 block radius. After work Ann took me to Al di La for a glass of wine - I can't wait to go back there to eat. It's one of those neighborhood places - everyone knew Ann and the staff is super friendly. Of course, she is the poster child for Al di La after appearing in the picture accompanying the NY Times review last year. They don't take reservations and are very small, but their new wine bar helps prevent the people back up during dinner. While sipping our marvelous whites Ann pointed out some of her favorites on the dinner menu - more to come on this fine place of Northern Italian food. Then we walked over to her house so I could get the low-down on house and poodle sitting, and the pots, pans and utensils I'll be needing for my upcoming Italian Spring Dinner Party! I have to say, the setting will be perfect for feasting and friends.

I then ran over a couple blocks to Rose Water on Union St, to meet Alix and Livy for another Brooklyn restaurant week pick. It was not easy to get a normal reservation time for dinner, but Alix had managed to do so. Rose Water focuses on American Nouveau - seasonal, local, organic and satiating taste buds. We started with a WONDERFUL white German wine, of which I've forgotten the name (anyone want to sponsor my wine education?) and absolutely superior bread, a little saltiness on the crust and dipped in olive oil and a fantastic white bean spread - the most nuanced of flavors.

For the prix fixe, there was an impressive array to choose from - I started with a chick pea stew, which included a giant, flavorful cheese-stuffed falafel. Golden roasted chicken for my entree, with sweetly sauteed mushrooms - I was already getting too full to finish, but we then ordered dessert, sharing all three: a chocolate peanut butter cake, apple fritter, and a vanilla cheesecake...ohhhh, myyyy.


Then hopped down the block to Union Hall to meet Erin and Nick for a drink. Union Hall is enormous. Despite it's size, it's always packed. Of course, there are many diversions, including a music venue on the lower level and bocce court on the upper level. That's right - the twenty-somethings of Brooklyn evidently know their Bocce. It's a great place to hang out with your pals, with several areas of comfy seating and even a pseudo library and fireplace. A patio is on the side for those much anticipated summer days.

Ah, Thursday night. I think that explains why on Friday night I fell asleep to a movie rental...

Al di La
284 5th Ave (and Union St.)
Park Slope, Brooklyn

http://www.aldilatrattoria.com/

Rose Water
787 Union St (between 5th and 6th Aves)
Park Slope, Brooklyn
718-783-3800

Union Hall
702 Union St (and 5th Ave)
Park Slope, Brooklyn
718-638-4300
http://unionhallny.com/

No comments: